Monday, September 03, 2007

Fibre Optic Christmas Tree


Yes, a fibre optic lamp is about as kitsch as you can get. At least I thought so until I unwittingly met my fantasy Christmas decoration in a department store last year - a fibre optic Christmas Tree.

I missed the 70s. At least I missed them in any meaningful way. I had just got of diapers by the end of the decade, with a little help from others, and I've stayed away from them ever since. However, my parent's house didn't make the transition into the next decade, nor the decade that followed, by casting off its old clothes and donning the new. Orange rugs, lava lamps and bean bag chairs all made it into the 80s and formed much of the landscape of my teenage years. However, the pride of place went to a fibre optic lamp. Half spaceship, half alien grassy moll, it was rarely turned on after it zapped my mother once while she was doing the vacuuming.

Well, now it's back with vengeance in the form of a Christmas tree. My dreams, once again, have come true.

No comments: